Fraudsters set up Jonathan/Sambo foundation, dupe over 100 - Gragrah News!
Headlines News :
Home » » Fraudsters set up Jonathan/Sambo foundation, dupe over 100

Fraudsters set up Jonathan/Sambo foundation, dupe over 100

Written By Joseph Y. Musa on Friday, May 03, 2013 | 5/03/2013 09:19:00 am


The Lagos State PoliceCommand is investigating a case of fraud perpetrated by six men, who defrauded hundreds of people in Ketu area of the state.

According to police authorities, the suspects, Dr. Chris Ajakaiye, Atanda Johnson, Morenike Folarin, Ademola Atanda, Soledayo Akinnubunmi and John Ajagbe, set up a foundation at 15 Oluwalogbon Street, Ikosi, known as Goodluck/Sambo Foundation.

report learnt that the suspects collected money from victims under the guise of keeping them in contact with the Presidency.

A resident of Ketu, who spoke to our correspondent on the condition of anonymity, said most of the victims were not residents of Ketu, which made it difficult for them to know that it was a fraudulent business

He said the foundation was set up in 2010 during the build-up to the 2011general elections.

The source said, “The people running the foundation told people to registerwith them and support Jonathan and Sambo during the elections. It was run like a supporters’ club and they held regular meetings. The members were promised government contracts and easy access to the presidency.

“I noticed also that most of the people that came to the place were not residents of Ketu, but I think members were many because it was cheap to register.”

It was learnt that the foundation initially started collecting N1,000 as registration fee from members but as the demand rose, the foundationincreased its fee to N3,000 and then changed its name to Vision Relief Programme.

report learnt that the foundation continued to run for almost three years until an aggrieved member went to report at the Ketu Police Division.

The spokesperson for the state police command, Ngozi Braide, said investigations revealed that the perpetrators had realised over N12m from the victims.

She said, “On February 26, 2013, two women, Bola Olaleke and Florence Adebisi, reported at the station that some people set up a foundation and started collecting N1,000 from people for registration.

In 2012, the foundation changed its name to Vision Relief Programme and then increased its fee to N3,000.

“They claimed to be working for the presidency and promised to help members secure contracts. So far, they have realised over N12m from victims.

After the first people reported at the station, many others started coming forward.”

Braide identified the leader of the group as John Ajagbe but added that he was on the run. She said other suspects had also fled.

“The case has been transferred to the X Squad of the state command for further investigation,” she said.
Share this article :
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

MOST READ FOR THE WEEK

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger
Copyright © 2011. Gragrah News! - All Rights Reserved
Template Design by Creating Website Published by Mas Template