Yekini Was Nigeria’s Greatest – Siasia - Gragrah News!
Headlines News :
Home » » Yekini Was Nigeria’s Greatest – Siasia

Yekini Was Nigeria’s Greatest – Siasia

Written By Gragrah on Friday, May 03, 2013 | 5/03/2013 09:02:00 am


Former Nigeria coach Samson Siasia has described Rashidi Yekini as the country’s greatest football star ever.


Yekini died on May 4 2012 and at a memorial lecture and book launch in Ibadan on Thursday, Siasia paid a glowing tribute to Nigeria’s all-time record goals scorer. ”Rashidi Yekini was the best player Nigeria ever produced,” remarked Siasia.
“He was the player who qualified Nigeria to our first-ever World Cup, scored Nigeria’s first-ever goal in the World Cup and won the highest goal scorer at the Nations Cup, he will always be there in my heart.
“I was not there when he was buried, but when I got a call from his lawyer, I said to myself that this is an opportunity to pay my last respect to him.
“The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) need to do something for him because this was the player who made history for our country and he needs to be honoured. We need to honour our heroes who have done the country proud in one way or the other.”
However, Siasia, who played alongside the legendary star for several years in the Super Eagles, expressed disappointment with the poor attendance at the memorial lecture in honour of the prolific striker with many of his colleagues cons-picuously absent. He said, “Most of our colleagues are not here to honour the late Rashidi Yekini who served his fatherland.
”I learnt about this programme some weeks ago and I found my way here to honour my friend, who always made things happen on the field. This was an avenue to honour the player I played alongside 10 years ago.
“I didn’t know much about him because we were not very close except we are on the field or inside bus, where he used to crack jokes and make people laugh.”
”I was so disappointed about the attendance of today’s programme, I expect this hall to be filled up with crowd, this was not the best way to honour our late hero Rashidi Yekini.
”Having five wives is news to me because I didn’t know about that, but all I know about him is that he was a good and calm person.”
Share this article :
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

MOST READ FOR THE WEEK

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger
Copyright © 2011. Gragrah News! - All Rights Reserved
Template Design by Creating Website Published by Mas Template